Thursday, September 15, 2005

Our new bicycles



Yipee! We have bicycles. Our friends generously gave us two bicycles that they are not using right now. Friday night, we met our friends in Starnberg and then brought the bikes home on the train.

This city is a cyclist's dream. Bike lanes nearly everywhere, and where they're not available, cars are very aware of cyclists' presence. Yesterday, I saved 6 Euros in public transportation costs by biking only 30 kilometers (round trip) to visit a friend. Again, stay tuned for my in-depth coverage of transportation in Munich. (I need to be careful, or I'm going to build it up too much!)




Today the subways, busses, and trams are not running (workers strike), so Steve decided to bike to work. It's actually quite common to see a man in a suit, briefcase in tow, biking down the street... and not just on days when the public transportation workers are on strike.

For those of you who have been following my Internet access woes, the bicycle has actually shortened my trip to the wireless-enabled hotel from 45 to 30 minutes. Maybe I'll be able to work it into my schedule to come here more than once a week now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home